Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rome Trip

All Photos can be seen here:  Rome Photobucket pictures

Rome was AMAZING!!!!  We had so much fun and ate some fantastic food!!   I am not going to make this a long post with lots of details.  I am just going to tell a very small bit of the trip.

We left on Sunday and after  a 2 hour delay at the airport and almost missing our connecting flight, we finally made it to Rome!!  My luggage decided to stay in Chicago for an extra night so I didn't have my clothes until Wednesday.  Sigh......


Our first day we roamed the streets of Rome and found the Trevi Fountain along with the Pantheon.  Our hotel was a 10 to 15 minute walk from these sites!!


On Tuesday, we went to the Colosseum.  This is a picture of the floor removed so you can see the underground.  This is where the gladiators and animals were kept.


Mark and I had Gelatto everyday!!  It was wonderful!!!


I was amazed by the architecture of Rome.  The doors were huge!!!  I found out it was because the buildings were built in the 17th and 18th century so they had to be big enough to have horse drawn carriages go through them,


Mark and I went and toured the Vatican on Friday.  This is us in front of the Church.  Take a look at the statues and the top of the church.  We climbed to the very top of it!!! Yep....even with my fear of heights!!!
Here we are the top with the city of Rome in the background.  As you can see, Mark is standing right behind me protecting me from falling through the gate that is cemented in concrete!  


Coming down the 320 steps...we are leaning because we are in the circular part of the dome.  Yes, the stairs were very tiny!!!


This is a zoomed in picture of the top of the cupola were we were standing.  I was able to stand and walk behind the pillars.  I felt safe then. 


Here are the statues at the top of the church.  We were able to walk up close to them and take this cool picture.  

We had such an amazing time but I was happy to get home and see my boys!



5 comments:

cucki said...

beautiful pictures..looks like a lovely trip. xxx

Melissa said...

It looks like an amazing trip!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time in Rome. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Betty in AZ (ILCS)

SoCal Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos! I also went to Rome on a tour of Italy but never had the chance to go to the top of the church. Lucky (and brave) you!

Marexstitch said...

Sounds like a nice trip. Glad you had fun!